Knoxville Nursing Home Malpractice Attorney
When you move a family member to a nursing home, you are entrusting their care to the staff there. You expect the personnel will be skilled, highly trained, and offer compassionate care to your loved ones. Unfortunately, nursing home neglect and abuse are on the rise all around Tennessee. It doesn’t matter what the supposed excuse is for neglecting a resident’s needs. It should never happen. If you suspect your family member is a victim of nursing home neglect or abuse, it’s crucial to speak with an experienced East Tennessee nursing home malpractice lawyer as soon as possible.
At Atkins Brezina, PLLC, our Knoxville nursing home malpractice attorneys have extensive experience handling nursing home abuse and neglect cases. We understand how important it is that your loved one feels safe and well cared for. We investigate all allegations of nursing home abuse and neglect and will pursue all responsible parties on your behalf.
Different Types of Tennessee Nursing Home Neglect and Abuse
There are multiple types of abuse and neglect that plague nursing home facilities across Tennessee. Some of the most common types of abuse are:
- Neglect: Neglect can happen when a nursing home is understaffed and existing staff is overworked. Residents don’t get regular visits from staff, and their personal hygiene can start to suffer. Bedsores are common in patients who are unable to get up.
- Physical Abuse: Physical abuse is often the most recognizable type of abuse because the victim is left with physical marks and wounds; it can also contribute to increased anxiety and other existing conditions.
- Emotional / Psychological Abuse: Emotional abuse include verbal insults, threats, etc.; emotional abuse can hurt a resident’s self-image.
- Sexual Abuse: Sexual abuse occurs in the nursing home setting more often than you might think.
- Financial Abuse: Financial abuse can take many forms, but usually involves stealing money from the resident. Sometimes, caregivers take advantage of residents by financially exploiting them.
Red Flags for Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
It’s crucial to be on the lookout for possible red flags and warning signs. This attention when you visit could help ensure your loved ones are not being mistreated. Or, if abuse or neglect is going on, you can help put a stop to it right away.
Possible warning signs include:
- Unexplained wounds or injuries
- Weight loss
- Notable changes in behavior and/or personality
- Dehydration or malnutrition
- Marks on wrists, indicating use of restraints
- Dirty bed linens, unemptied trash, and other unfavorable room conditions
The presence of one or more of these warning signs doesn’t definitively mean abuse or neglect is going on, but it’s certainly a possibility. You’ll need to investigate further. If you don’t like the nursing home’s answers, you need to report the facility and speak to an experienced East Tennessee nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer right away.
Contact a Knoxville Nursing Home Lawyer Today
If you suspect neglect or abuse in a Tennessee nursing home, contact Atkins Brezina, PLLC, today and schedule an initial consultation. Let us review the circumstances and advise you on the best course for future legal action.