Knoxville Hospital Error Attorney
Patients head to the hospital to receive professional care in the hopes of getting well. As many find out, however, they end up worse off in the hospital. Medical negligence is a leading cause of injury and death around Tennessee and the country at large. Mistakes made in the hospital have an enormous impact on a patient’s well-being and quality of life moving forward.
Atkins Brezina, PLLC can help. Our Knoxville hospital error attorney can ensure that your case is taken seriously, and we can investigate and possibly sue a hospital.
What are Leading Hospital Mistakes in Knoxville?
Hospitals employ countless doctors, nurses, technicians, orderlies, and administrators. All owe a patient coming into the hospital a duty of care. They can violate this duty by failing to do their job properly.
Many patients are injured by:
- Surgical mistakes. A surgeon can perform the wrong surgery or the correct surgery at the wrong site on the patient. Other mistakes include leaving implements in a patient and damaging healthy tissue or nerves while performing surgery negligently.
- Post-surgery complications. A patient might pick up an infection because of improper wound care or be discharged too early.
- Anesthesia errors. Many patients receive the wrong dose of anesthesia, resulting in impaired cognition after surgery. Other mistakes include intubation errors, incorrect administration of oxygen, or being conscious during the surgery.
- Paperwork errors. Mistakes in data collection and entry lead to improper surgery, delayed treatment, and premature discharge from the hospital.
- Emergency room errors. The ER is a busy place, and patients can be injured by delayed diagnosis, missed diagnosis, infections, and medication errors.
- Patients recovering in the hospital are at risk of developing a bedsore. These ulcers might become infected and lead to sepsis or other life-threatening conditions if not treated properly. Hospitals should also prevent bedsore formation by regularly moving a patient’s position in bed.
Can You Receive Compensation for a Hospital Error?
If you were injured by the error, then yes. For example, a person suffering from a surgical error might end up being immediately wheeled back into surgery. This extra medical treatment is very expensive and emotionally stressful.
Hospital errors delay recovery, which delays a patient’s ability to return to work and start earning money. Many of our clients lose thousands of dollars in income because they are still too unwell to return to their jobs.
Bodily injuries also cause pain and suffering, along with emotional distress. Many people sink into depression or suffer anxiety because of their bodily limitations.
Our patients should receive compensation to cover all of these losses. If a loved one died due to a hospital error, then surviving members might have a Tennessee wrongful death lawsuit.
You Need an Experienced Knoxville Hospital Error Lawyer
Hospitals zealously protect their reputations, so they are loath to admit to a mistake. Consequently, many injured victims and their families will struggle to obtain necessary evidence to support a legal claim. We can help. Atkins Brezina, PLLC has represented many people suing Knoxville hospitals for mistakes made in their buildings. Schedule a consultation today.